Getting to Rethymno
There are two ways to reach Rethymno:
- By air travel to Athens, and a connecting flight to the Cretan cities of either Chania or Heraklion, and then by bus or taxi or car to Rethymno.
- By air travel from a European city directly to the Cretan cities of either Chania or Heraklion, and then by bus or taxi or car to Rethymno.
Flights between Athens and either Chania or Heraklion take 45-50 minutes. In the summer there are flights of low cost airlines connecting Chania and Heraklion directly to European cities. Land travel from either Chania or Heraklion to Rethymno takes approximately 1-1.5 hours, depending on the means of transportation.
Land travel in Crete
Option 1: Bus
Bus can actually take you to any part of Crete at an affordable price. After arriving at the airport, travelers should go to the bus terminal (KTEL) in the city of Chania or Heraklion. From either city, buses leave for Rethymno approximately every hour.
Option 2: Taxi
Taxi is a convenient way for land travelling. The rates are more or less fixed for all taxi companies. Transfer by taxi from Chania Airport or from Heraklion Airport to Rethymno is expected to cost around 100€ per route.
Option 3: Car rental
Renting a car can be also convenient and of reasonable cost. There are a lot of companies in Crete offering such services.
Getting to the University Campus
The Department of Economics is located at the University Campus in Rethymno:
The University Campus (also known as Gallos University Campus) is located approximately 6km off downtown Rethymno. There is a regular bus service between the town and the campus. Buses run every 15-20 minutes and the trip takes 20-25 minutes. Alternatively, a taxi/car takes 10-15 minutes, depending on the traffic.
- Flights from Athens to Chania or Heraklion (Aegean Airlines, SKY Express, Ryanair, etc.): Approximately 100-120€ round trip (when booked sufficiently in advance).
- Bus from Chania Airport to Rethymno: 7,30€ per route.
- Bus from Heraklion Bus Station (downtown) to Rethymno: 7,60€ per route.
- Bus from Rethymno (downtown) to University Campus: 1,30€ per route.
To check visa requirements please click below: